Aaochale ( Let's Go )
Lansdowne is a picturesque hill station located in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand, India. It is situated at an altitude of around 1,700 meters (5,600 feet) above sea level and is known for its tranquil surroundings, natural beauty, and pleasant weather.
The hill station is named after Lord Lansdowne, who was the Viceroy of India during the British rule. It is a popular destination for tourists seeking a peaceful and relaxing getaway, away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Lansdowne is surrounded by lush green forests, snow-clad mountains, and beautiful valleys, making it a paradise for nature lovers.
One of the main attractions in Lansdowne is the Garhwal Rifles Regimental War Memorial, which is a museum dedicated to the Garhwal Rifles, one of the oldest regiments of the Indian Army. The museum houses various artifacts, weapons, and memorabilia related to the regiment’s history and achievements. The memorial also has a light and sound show that depicts the heroic stories of the soldiers of the regiment.
Other popular attractions in Lansdowne include the Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, St. Mary’s Church, Tip-in-Top, and Bhulla Tal Lake. The hill station is also known for its trekking trails, which offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. One can also indulge in outdoor activities like camping, birdwatching, and nature walks.
Lansdowne can be visited throughout the year, but the best time to visit is from March to November, when the weather is pleasant and the views are clear. The hill station is well-connected by road, and can be easily reached from major cities like Delhi and Dehradun.
In summary, Lansdowne is a beautiful hill station located in Uttarakhand, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys, and is a must-visit destination for nature lovers, history buffs, and anyone seeking a peaceful and relaxing getaway.
Who Should Visit Lansdowne
Lansdowne is a perfect destination for people who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing holiday in the lap of nature. It is an ideal place for those who want to escape from the hustle and bustle of city life and enjoy some time amidst scenic beauty.
Nature lovers would find Lansdowne an ideal destination, as it offers breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains, dense forests, and scenic valleys. Birdwatchers can also spot several species of birds in the region.
History buffs would also find Lansdowne interesting, as it has a rich past related to the British rule in India. The Garhwal Rifles Regimental War Memorial, which is a museum dedicated to the regiment, is a must-visit attraction for history enthusiasts.
Lansdowne is also a great destination for adventure seekers, as it offers several trekking trails, camping, and outdoor activities like nature walks, birdwatching, and boating.
Families and couples looking for a quiet and peaceful vacation can also visit Lansdowne. It is a great place to spend quality time with loved ones and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Overall, Lansdowne is a destination for everyone, and anyone who wants to relax in the lap of nature, learn about history, or indulge in adventure activities should definitely visit this beautiful hill station.
Best Time To Visit Lansdowne
The best time to visit Lansdowne is between March and November when the weather is pleasant, and the skies are clear. During these months, the temperature ranges from 15°C to 25°C, making it ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
The monsoon season starts in July and lasts till September. During this period, the weather can be unpredictable, and landslides may occur, which can make it difficult to travel to and around Lansdowne. It is recommended to avoid visiting during the monsoon season.
The winter season, which lasts from December to February, is also a good time to visit Lansdowne, especially for those who enjoy and experience the winter chill. The temperature during this time can drop to as low as 6°C.
Overall, the best time to visit Lansdowne is from March to November when the weather is pleasant and comfortable for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
How to Reach Lansdowne
Lansdowne is a beautiful hill station located in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Here are the various ways to reach Lansdowne:
By Air: The nearest airport to Lansdowne is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is about 152 km away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Lansdowne.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Lansdowne is Kotdwar, which is about 40 km away. Several trains connect Kotdwar to major cities in India. From the station, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Lansdowne.
By Road: Lansdowne is well-connected by road to major cities in Uttarakhand and neighboring states. You can take a bus from Delhi, Dehradun, or Haridwar to Kotdwar and then hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Lansdowne. You can also drive to Lansdowne from Delhi, which is approximately 250 km away.
Once you reach Lansdowne, you can explore the town on foot, hire a taxi or a private vehicle to get around the area.
What To Do in Lansdowne
Lansdowne is a beautiful hill station that offers a range of activities for tourists. Here are some things to do in Lansdowne:
- Trekking , Hiking, Nature Walk : Lansdowne offers several trekking and hiking trails, which are perfect for adventure enthusiasts. Lansdowne is surrounded by lush green forests, and you can take a leisurely nature walk to explore the area. Some of the popular nature walk trails include the Tiffin Top trek. The Tip-n-Top viewpoint offers a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains and valleys. It is a great place to watch the sunrise and sunset.
- Visit St. Mary’s Church:It is an important religious site for the Christian community in the area and is also a popular tourist attraction. The church is located in the heart of the town and is easily accessible. The church has a beautiful altar, which is adorned with candles and flowers. The walls of the church are decorated with paintings and murals depicting scenes from the Bible. Visitors can attend Sunday mass at the church and participate in the prayers and hymns. The church also hosts special events and festivals during Christmas and Easter.
- Birdwatching: Lansdowne is home to several species of birds, and birdwatching is a popular activity in the area. You can spot birds like the Himalayan bulbul, blue whistling thrush, and black-throated tit.
- Boating: Bhulla Tal is a beautiful lake located about 1 km from Lansdowne. The lake is a popular tourist attraction and is surrounded by lush green forests. The name “Bhulla Tal” means “young brother’s lake,” and the lake is said to have been named after a young soldier who used to frequent the lake during his training. Visitors can enjoy boating on the lake or relax by the lakeside and enjoy the scenic beauty. The lake is surrounded by a walking trail, which is perfect for a leisurely stroll. There are several benches and seating areas around the lake where visitors can relax and enjoy the views.
- Museum Visit :Lansdowne War Memorial and Museum is a historic museum located in Lansdowne, which is dedicated to the Garhwal Rifles, one of the oldest regiments in the Indian Army. The museum is housed in a beautiful colonial-style building, which was built in 1923 to commemorate the soldiers who lost their lives in World War I. The museum has several displays and exhibits showcasing the history of the Garhwal Rifles, including photographs, medals, uniforms, and other memorabilia. Visitors can also see a collection of weapons, including rifles, machine guns, and artillery pieces, used by the Garhwal Rifles during various wars. Also You can Visit Darwan Singh Museum, Which is a small museum located in Lansdowne, which is dedicated to the life and achievements of Darwan Singh Negi. Darwan Singh was a soldier in the Garhwal Rifles and had participated in World War I. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery in the war, which is the highest military award given to soldiers in the British Army.
Visit Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple :
It is a famous Hindu temple located in Lansdowne, Uttarakhand. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the oldest and most revered temples in the region. The temple is situated amidst the thick deodar and pine forests and provides a serene and peaceful atmosphere for visitors.
To reach the Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, visitors can take a short trek of around 1.5 kilometers from the main market of Lansdowne. The trek takes approximately 30-40 minutes to complete and passes through the scenic forest trail. Visitors can also drive to the temple, as there is a motorable road leading up to it. The temple is believed to be over 1000 years old and is considered to be one of the holiest places in the region. The main deity of the temple is Lord Shiva in the form of a lingam. The temple also has other idols of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Parvati.
Overall, Lansdowne offers a range of activities for tourists, and you can choose the ones that suit your interests and preferences.
Before You Travel
Lansdowne is a beautiful hill station located in the northern state of Uttarakhand in India. Here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind before you travel to Lansdowne:
Carry warm clothes: Since Lansdowne is located at a high altitude, the weather can get chilly, especially during the winters. Make sure to carry warm clothes, including jackets, sweaters, and shawls.
Explore the local cuisine: Lansdowne is known for its delicious local cuisine. Make sure to try the local delicacies, such as aloo ke gutke, kachmauli, and bal mithai.
Visit the tourist attractions: Lansdowne has many tourist attractions, including the War Memorial, St. Mary’s Church, and the Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple. Make sure to visit these places to experience the local culture and history.
Enjoy outdoor activities: Lansdowne is a great place for outdoor activities such as trekking, camping, and bird watching. Make sure to indulge in these activities to make the most of your trip.
Respect local customs and traditions: When in Lansdowne, make sure to respect the local customs and traditions. Dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites.
Litter: Lansdowne is a pristine hill station, and it’s important to keep it clean. Make sure to dispose of your waste properly and avoid littering.
Disturb wildlife: Lansdowne is home to many species of flora and fauna. Make sure to admire them from a safe distance and avoid disturbing them.
Drink and drive: Drinking and driving is illegal and dangerous. Make sure to avoid drinking and driving, and always use a designated driver or public transport.
Ignore local laws: Make sure to follow local laws and regulations. Ignoring them can lead to legal complications.
Disrespect locals: Lansdowne is a close-knit community, and it’s important to treat the locals with respect. Avoid making insensitive comments and be polite and courteous.